Mainframe Developer Job Description Template/Brief
As a Mainframe Developer, you will be responsible for the analysis, design, coding, testing, and documentation of new or modified applications developed on the IBM z/OS Mainframe platform. In addition to these duties, you will also be required to provide support for applications already in production.
In order to be successful in this role, you will need to have a strong working knowledge of COBOL, JCL, CICS, DB2, and IMS. You should also be familiar with DevOps concepts and tools such as Jenkins and Git. Additionally, good communication and problem-solving skills are essential.
Mainframe Developer Job Profile
Mainframe developers are responsible for the development, maintenance and support of software applications that run on mainframe computers. They work with a variety of programming languages, software tools and platforms to create high-performance, mission-critical applications.
Mainframe developers typically work in large organizations that rely heavily on mainframe systems for their business operations. They may work in a variety of industries, including banking, finance, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing and government.
- Lead Engineer
Mainframe Developer Responsibilities
- Creating high-performance, mission-critical applications
- Analyzing user requirements and developing software solutions
- Ensuring software applications meet all performance and security requirements
- Working with other developers to create high-performance, scalable applications
- Researching new technologies and software development trends
- Providing technical support and troubleshooting
- Writing technical documentation
Mainframe Developer Requirements & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field
- 3+ years of experience in mainframe development
- Strong knowledge of COBOL, JCL, CICS, DB2 and other mainframe technologies
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting
- Experience with mainframe software development tools and platforms (z/OS, z/VM, z/Linux, IBM System z)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills