Data Modeler Job Description Template/Brief
Our organization is looking for an experienced data modeller to help design and implement company databases. As a data modeller, you will collaborate with data architects and analysts to build data modelling solutions that streamline and support enterprise information management.
The chosen candidate will:
- Be in charge of developing conceptual, logical, and physical data models and implementing RDBMS, operational data stores (ODS), data marts, and data lakes on target platforms (SQL/NoSQL).
- Manage the extension of existing data architecture and optimize data query performance through best practices. The applicant must be capable of working both alone and cooperatively.
Data Modeler Job Profile
Systems analysts who develop computer databases that transform complex corporate data into useable computer systems are data modellers. Data modelers collaborate with data architects to create databases that fulfil the company's goals by utilizing conceptual, logical, and physical data models. Their models are intended to increase efficiency and outputs and may focus on data redundancy reduction or data mobility between systems.
Data Modelers typically operate as part of a team alongside other database administrators and data architects, typically as employees of a major corporation or organization. Database Administrator jobs, including Data Modelers, are expected to grow in the coming years as all companies' data needs grow.
Data Modeler Responsibilities
- Involve business users in determining their information requirements
- Examine the business process and conceive the entities that interact inside it
- Determine how the various entities are connected and create entity relationship diagrams to depict the links between the entities
- Determine the qualities and properties of each entity and verify that the entities can be distinguished inside the model
- Create a logical data model and validate it to ensure it meets the demands of the business application and its users
- Convert the model's logical representation into a physical manifestation and collaborate with database administrators to instantiate and maintain the data
- Work with the BI and Analytics teams to create an efficient, reusable semantic model that includes metadata and lineage information
- Fine-tune the model to achieve consistent performance
- Keep the metadata – the "data about the data" that describes the data model, its structure, and semantics – up to date
- Recommend and implement design and maintenance standards, guidelines, and procedures
Data Modeler Requirements & Skills
- A bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or a related Information Technology area
- Proficient in industry-standard data modelling methodologies
- Excellent teamwork and communication abilities
- Excellent consultative, facilitative, and consensus-building abilities
- Proven expertise in developing relational databases in a corporate context
- Demonstrated expertise in developing models for Business Intelligence solutions
- Excellent analytical, data profiling, and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Thorough understanding of modelling methodology and procedures
- Thorough understanding of facilitation and dispute resolution methods
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence products