Head of Engineering Job Description
What will I be doing? 👩💻👨💻
- Manage a team of backend and frontend engineers in one or more product areas. You will initially manage up to 15 engineers, partner with the product owners of multiple areas of the platform from an engineering perspective, help define the product roadmap and deliver a high quality product.
- Collaborate with PMs to define roadmap for your area of the product
- Master our existing infrastructure, but question everything and offer suggestions on how we can improve
- You will be responsible for the overall performance and management of the engineering team including reporting and mentoring, and also hiring and growing the team.
- Help scale to thousands of customers. We need great engineers constantly improving our tech and peering round the corner.
What do I need? 🤓
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- We're looking for someone who has a strong background as an individual contributor engineer and is now passionate about building teams and people management.
- You have 5+ years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- You are a very strong verbal and nonverbal communicator. You’re excited to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally. You can reduce complex problems to simple solutions consistently.
- You can contemplate several, and often conflicting, constraints and make rapid decisions.
- You can anticipate future technical needs for the product and craft plans to realize them.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams at Slack. You can then be accountable for driving project execution.
- You love helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
Brownie points 🍰
- Experience scaling platforms growing at pace.
Feel free to apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. As long as you're a quick learner, and are excited about changing the status quo for tech recruitment, we're happy to support you as you come up to speed with our tech stack.
Tech stack 🔨