Natural Language Processing, usually shortened as NLP, is a branch of artificial intelligence that deals with the interaction between computers and humans using the natural language. NLP is a way to extract meaning from human language to make decisions based on the information. This technology is still evolving, but there are already many incredible ways natural language processing is used today.
Today’s machines can analyze more language-based data than humans, without fatigue and in a consistent, unbiased way. Considering the staggering amount of unstructured data that’s generated every day, from medical records to social media, automation will be critical to fully analyze text and speech data efficiently.
NLP Engineers are responsible for the development and design of language understanding systems and for the effective use of text representation techniques.
Typical responsibilities of an NLP Developer include:
- Analyze, design and implement strategies for search engines in Natural Language and strategies for data extraction
- Build, train, refine and customise NLP models
- Use knowledge in new techniques, technologies, standards and business trends to advise about potential benefits and impacts as well as to design and develop solutions
- Define appropriate datasets for language learning
- Train the developed model and run evaluation experiments
- Maintain NLP libraries and frameworks